We’re all a bit mad about pineapple in our house, but can you blame us? It’s definitely one of my all time favourite fruits, so much so that we actually have a painting of a pineapple hanging above our dining table. On our last holiday baby H thought that every baby palm tree we came across was in fact a pineapple, and was sadly disappointed when we had to break it to her that they weren’t actually edible. Now I know that palm tree sized pineapples do sound like the ultimate in pineapple amazingness, but I’m pretty sure I’ve found the next best thing!
I recently came across the new Del Monte® Gold Pineapple range, which I’ve got to say has been a bit of a game changer. Their Gold Pineapples are left to ripen on the plant longer than with other varieties, resulting in them being naturally sweeter than usual, as well as having a silky soft texture too. They also have up to four times the vitamin C of other varieties, which is great for mums like myself who try to make sure their little ones are getting lots of lovely vitamins. If you head over to www.delmonteeurope.com you can find out lots more about this fabulous new range! In summary, it’s delicious, tastes super luxurious and is consistently yummy all year round, which is more than I can say for the fresh pineapples when they’re out of season.
I absolutely love the combination of Gold Pineapple and coconut, so I created this tart to showcase the amazing Gold Pineapple flavours, which are really complemented by sweet, creamy coconut. I’ve added in a little ginger to the base and turmeric into the filling to give it a perfectly spiced little kick too, but you can always omit these if you want to keep it a little more classic.
Makes one 8″ round tart
Time: 90 mins
For the crust
- 1 cup medjool dates (175g)
- 1/2 cup cashews (65g)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut (50g)
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
For the filling
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water for 4 hours (125g)
- 1 carton coconut cream (250ml)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (30ml)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (80ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tin Del Monte pineapple rings
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- For the crust, place the ingredients in a food processor and whizz until they form a sticky mixture.
- Spoon this into an 8″ tart tin and use your hands to spread it out so that it covers the base and sides evenly.
- For the filling, drain the cashews and place them in a food processor with the coconut cream, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and whizz for about five minutes until it is completely smooth.
- Pour half of the mixture in a bowl, then add two of the Del Monte® Gold Pineapple Slices to the remaining mixture, along with the turmeric and whizz for one more minute until you have a delicious golden yellow mixture.
- Cut three more of the remaining Del Monte® Gold Pineapple Slices into half and place them on the base of the tart, then dollop alternating spoonfuls of the white and yellow fillings on top.
- Once you’ve finished, use a skewer to swirl around the different coloured fillings to create the swirl effect.
- Place in the freezer for two hours to set, then decorate with the remaining pineapple and if you like, a little edible gold and some dried marigold petals for good measure!
Love, Mrs H xx